Here are some FREE resources for survivors who live in New York:
New York City
- Cook for Your Life offers FREE hands-on cooking/nutrition classes and field trips to local farmer’s markets to learn about healthy foods for cancer patients, survivors and their caretakers. Classes are located at the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge, 132 West 32 Street. Registration required. Click Here, or call 212-799-3894. To learn about upcoming classes, sign up on the website to receive emails.
- The Creative Center has daily FREE visual, literary and performing arts workshops for cancer patients and survivors. The schedule includes creative writing, jewelry design, photography, dance, acting and more,. They also hold exhibits of student works in their downtown gallery. Click Here, or call 646-465-5313, to get a schedule and sign up.
- Cancer Care provides FREE wigs, bras and prostheses to cancer patients. Ask about upcoming fitting workshops in the New York City national office or other locations in Long Island, N.J. and CT; by appointment only. The main office at 275 Seventh Avenue, offers Day of Beauty clinics twice a year with a make-up artist who will demonstrate tricks for those who have lost their eyebrows and eyelashes, plus regular Reiki and art workshops. Click Here, or call 800-813-HOPE (4673), for information and registration.
- The JCC in Manhattan: Breast cancer survivors are invited to take part in numerous FREE programs at the JCC on the Upper West Side (co-sponsored by the Comprehensive Breast Center at Mount Sinai Roosevelt) including restorative yoga, Moving for Life gentle dance/exercise, Renewal water exercise, and massage. For programs, Click Here. To register, call JoAnn Fox Weingarten at 212-523-7275.
New York State
- Adelphi New York Statewide Breast Cancer Hotline & Support Program: Founded in 1980, this program addresses the psychosocial issues associated with breast cancer. New York State residents can call seven days a week to speak to trained volunteers and receive FREE information, referrals and emotional support. They can also help find local support groups, and individual and family counseling. Click Here, or call 800-877-8077